Friday, August 13, 2010

Finishing touches

Josie has been in her big girl room for about 7 months now. I had her decor picked out for several months before then, but of course it took a while to get it painted and set up. Her bedding is purposefully mismatched with black, bright pink, and bright green, and Westies. We have a Westie, and Josie has always loved dogs so it was perfect for her! I was never able to find wall decor that I was happy with the style or the cost. I had given up until the most recent Pottery Barn Kids catalog came out. They had some adorable pictures on the wall in their nursery set ups that weren't for sale. They didn't even match Josie's room, but it gave me an idea. From the tiny picture, it looked as if it was a shape cut out of scrapbook paper and framed. Simple! I can totally do that.

Luckily my favorite craft store was having a sale on scrapbook paper and picture frames this week. I love Hobby Lobby! I pick up a few sheets of some black and white houndstooth print paper and a few sheets of bright pink with a textured look. Head over to the frame section and grab a plain black 18" x 24" frame. It took me just a few short hours (with a few nursing sessions and play time with Josie in between) to get it all finished.

I matched up my houndstooth papers to look completely seamless and fill the frame. Then I sketched out the Westie shape onto the pink paper. Because of the size picture I wanted, I had to seperate the head and body. To cover that seam, I used some ribbon I already had to make it look like a collar. Tape or glue the dog onto the background, load in frame, and voila! I am so pleased with how it turned out and for less than $25.

No comments:

Post a Comment