Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Arts and Crafts

I've always been a sucker for crafts. Maybe it goes back to the days in grade school where I had projects for book reports or science class, or the "craft nights" my girl friends and I had in high school. My mom was always able to figure out how to make my project ideas come to life. Luckily I've inherited that trait from her. I always have some sort of vision of perfection when it comes to craft projects. Some turn out better than others. For example, my mom and sister learned that making beaded votive holders are a lot harder than it looks. No one wants bead shrapnel flying every which way when you light the candle!


During my nesting phase while pregnant with Georgie, I was coming up with all sorts of projects to tackle. I wanted to redecorate the nursery on a tight budget, but I also wanted to keep myself busy so I wouldn't be counting down the minutes until she was born. I managed to sew up a crib dust ruffle, three curtains, and a pillow for the rocking chair. All those turned out relatively good. My sewing skills are fairly good as long as it's a simple pattern. I also tried my hand at modpodging some decorative paper onto name letters and a DIY mobile. Letters- perfect, mobile- I could use a little more practice on that one but not bad.


My most favorite creation so far has been the hairbow holder. I've made one for Josie and another for a friend. I love how they have turned out. I have a few others in the works for my nieces. Here is an example:




I've also started embellishing onesies. Babies with little ruffles on the butt are the cutest thing to me. Since I know how to gather and had some non-fraying material around, it was so easy to just whip one up. It's too cute on Miss Georgie!





No comments:

Post a Comment